Bolivar Dam intake photograph   Save
Bolivar Dam intake photograph
Description: Dated to the 1930s or 1940s, this photograph shows the Bolivar Dam intake, located on the Sandy Creek of the Tuscarawas River. Originally completed in 1938, the dam manages flood control in the Muskingum Watershed area. The intake structure consists of a brick superstructure and a reinforced concrete substructure. Within the structure are six caterpillar gates (7 feet wide by 15 feet tall). The invert of each gate opening has an elevation of 895 feet. This photograph is one of the many visual materials collected for use in the Ohio Guide. In 1935, President Franklin D. Roosevelt established the Works Progress Administration by executive order to create jobs for the large numbers of unemployed laborers, as well as artists, musicians, actors, and writers. The Federal Arts Program, a sector of the Works Progress Administration, included the Federal Writers’ Project, one of the primary goals of which was to complete the America Guide series, a series of guidebooks for each state which included state history, art, architecture, music, literature, and points of interest to the major cities and tours throughout the state. Work on the Ohio Guide began in 1935 with the publication of several pamphlets and brochures. The Reorganization Act of 1939 consolidated the Works Progress Administration and other agencies into the Federal Works Administration, and the Federal Writers’ Project became the Federal Writers’ Project in Ohio. The final product was published in 1940 and went through several editions. The Ohio Guide Collection consists of 4,769 photographs collected for use in Ohio Guide and other publications of the Federal Writers’ Project in Ohio from 1935-1939. View on Ohio Memory.
Image ID: SA1039AV_B14F03_021_001
Subjects: Dams; Geography and Natural Resources; Tuscarawas County (Ohio)--History; Flood control; Ohio--History--Pictorial works
Places: Tuscarawas County (Ohio); Stark County (Ohio)