: This wool flag served as the national colors of the 19th Independent Battery of the Ohio Volunteer Light Artillery. The flag was manufactured in the United States between 1863 and 1865. The flag has 35 blue stars arranged in a grid pattern (five rows of six stars and one row of five stars) on a blue canton. The flag has thirteen alternating red and white stripes and gold fringe on its top, right, and bottom sides. Painted text in the flag's stripes reads: "CUMBERLAND GAP. / BEAN STATION KNOXVILLE / ROCKY FACE RIDGE. / RESACCA / ALTOONA. / 19th BATTERY O.V.A. / KENESAW BURNT HICKORY / CHATTAHOOCHIE DECATUR / JONESBORO LOVEJOY STATION ATLANTA / NASHVILLE / NORTH CAROLINA." Some of the text is very faint.
Ohio battle flags were on display at the Ohio Statehouse until the 1960s, when the state formed a committee to oversee the efforts to restore the fragile flags. Some of the battle flags were on display on the Plaza Level of the Ohio Historical Society from 1970 until 1989. For conservation reasons, the flags have been in storage since 1989. In the 1960s, the collection was photographed and commercial artist Robert Needham painted illustrations of many Civil War flags. Photographs of the flags and the paintings are now part of the society's archival collections.
View on Ohio Memory.
: AL01833 Subjects
: Flags--Ohio; United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865; Stars and Stripes Places