Welcome to OhioPix, your one-stop shop for rights-managed images from the collections of the Ohio History Connection. With over 19,000 images to choose from, it’s more convenient than ever to find and use historical images for your projects in either print or digital format!HOW TO ORDER PRINTS
Display-quality photographic prints can be purchased in a variety of sizes. See our Rights and Reproductions page for information on print sizes, shipping and delivery options. Prints come in a satin finish, but feel free to reach out if you would like to discuss other options.
To purchase a print, save your image(s) to your shopping cart, click “Check out now” and then select “Print” as your delivery format. Click “Order Print,” then click “I agree” once you read and agree to the Use Agreement terms. You will be forwarded to the Ohio History Store to finish the payment process. Prints are generally delivered within 14 business days of purchase.HOW TO ORDER DIGITAL IMAGES
OhioPix allows users to purchase digital images and permissions online, eliminating the need for paper order forms and offering quicker turnaround for those working on tight deadlines.
To purchase digital images, click on the shopping cart icon to add desired images to your cart. Click on “Check out now” when finished searching, and select “Downloadable file” under Delivery Format. Select the appropriate category for your intended use of the images(s) to determine the correct price. Click “Order File,” and when presented with the Use Agreement form, please read, and if you agree to the terms click “I Agree.” You will be forwarded to the Ohio History Store to finish the payment process.
After your purchase is complete, you will be sent a link via email within 5 business days to download your image. Links remain live for one week to allow you time to retrieve your file.What quality of images will I receive?
Digital images are provided as uncompressed TIFF files. Images are captured at a minimum of 400 dpi although most are at 600 dpi or greater. Under some circumstances, requests for new scans of a higher quality may be available. Please contact us for more information.I’m on a tight deadline. Will I be able to use the images right away?
At this time, image downloads cannot be sent automatically. You will receive a link to retrieve your image(s) within 5 business days.
PERMISSIONS-ONLY REQUESTSI have a copy of the digital image, but need to pay use fees for permission to use it. Can I order online?
You are welcome to use OhioPix for permission-only orders. Please include a note with your order that no digital file is needed. Use fees remain the same whether or not the file is needed.DETERMINING FEES
The Ohio History Connection charges a use fee for the right to use an image for a particular purpose. These funds cover costs for providing digitization services, as well as the long-term care of the original historical materials. Payment of the use fee for a digital image also includes the digital file itself. If you are interested in purchasing a print for commercial or non-profit usage, use fees may apply in addition to the print cost. Use fees fall into the following categories:
- Personal/Research Use: Materials may be used for reference or research purposes or private (in-home or non-public office) display only.
- Small Print Run: Commercial or non-profit print runs of under 1,000 copies.
- Self-Publishing: Users publishing independently without the support of a publishing company.
- Retail Décor: Display of an image for decorative purposes in a public area.
- Academic/Non-Profit Use: Includes users affiliated with a university press and non-profit users with 501(c)3 status.
- Commercial Use: Commercial users will not have non-profit status and will have a distribution of more than 1,000 copies. Commercial use includes projects such as the publication of textbooks, for-profit books, articles, DVDs, advertising or exhibition.
Ohio residents are charged 7.5% tax on digital files. Use fees are not taxable.I am with a tax-exempt organization. May I order digital downloads online?
Information about tax-exempt purchases through the Ohio History store can be found here.
FINDING IMAGES IN OHIOPIXHow do I find images in the OhioPix image database?
- Browse by Topic by using the suggested topics on the home page to view a selection of images in the database that fit into those categories. You can also see an alphabetical list of these topics by clicking the menu button on the upper right of the page.
- Search using the search bar at the top of any page to perform a Google-style search of images. Keywords will be searched in the title, description and other fields of the records. You can put quotes around a phrase to keep the keywords together (for example: “battle of fallen timbers”).
While OhioPix continues to add images regularly, the site represents only a portion of our organization’s collections. Not finding what you need on OhioPix? Ohio Memory has a broader selection of images that may fit your search, or explore the Online Collections Catalog to find out what else we hold in the OHC archives.
Ohio History Connection staff are available to assist with finding specific images. For more information about searching our non-digital collections, please contact email@example.com.CONTACT US
Can’t find the answer or have other questions about your order? Contact the Ohio History Connection Images staff at firstname.lastname@example.org or 614.297.2530.