: This is a photograph of a stained silk In-Service Banner with 12 stars. It was embroidered by hand and measures 90 x 59 cm.
The In Service Flag (Blue Star banner) was patented by an Ohioan, Colonel Robert L. Queisser of East Cleveland, Ohio, on 6 November 1917. Intended for display by families who have members serving in the Armed Forces, blue star banners are also displayed in shop windows to honor the members of that organization who were serving. Most flags were homemade by mothers, though they later became mass-produced. Upon death in service the blue star was replaced by a gold one, wounded soldiers' stars were replaced by silver. One of the most famous flags was that of the five Sullivan brothers who all perished on the U.S.S. Juneau. View on Ohio Memory.
: H65450_001 Subjects
: Ceremonial artifact; Communication artifact; Military flags; Flags--Ohio; World War, 1939-1945; World War, 1914-1918; Blue Star Banner; Places
: Cleveland (Ohio), Cuyahoga County (Ohio)