: This is a guidon of the 95th Headquarters Troop of the 95th Infantry Division. The top half of the pennant shaped flag is red and the bottom half is white. There are white appliqued numbers "95" on top half of flag. The white gauze material is approximately 18 cm long attached to sleeve of the flag. A Metal pin is attached to gauze. The pin is a croix de guerre with crossed infantry swords in the middle of a Roman(?) head with a laurel wreath around it. Around the head are the words "Republique Francaise." It has machine sewn, applique.
Ohio battle flags were on display at the Ohio Statehouse until the 1960s, when the state formed a committee to oversee the efforts to restore the fragile flags. Some of the battle flags were on display on the Plaza Level of the Ohio Historical Society from 1970 until 1989. For conservation reasons, the flags have been in storage since 1989. In the 1960s, the collection was photographed and commercial artist Robert Needham painted illustrations of many Civil War flags. Photographs of the flags and the paintings are now part of the society's archival collections. View on Ohio Memory.
: AL02284 Subjects
: Flags--Ohio; World War, 1914-1918; Ceremonial artifact; Communication artifact; Military flags Places