: Painting of two Guidons taken into battle by the 1st Ohio Volunteer Light Artillery, Battery D.
Top: This silk Stars and Stripes swallowtail guidon bears 35 gold stars: 11 in inner circle, 20 in outer circle, and one each in the canton's four corners.
Bottom: Gold guidon split horizontally by a red line. Above are two crossed cannons in red and below is the text LADY HAYWARD.
Ohio battle flags were on display at the Ohio Statehouse until the 1960s, when the state formed a committee to oversee the efforts to restore the fragile flags. Some of the battle flags were on display on the Plaza Level of the Ohio Historical Society from 1970 until 1989. For conservation reasons, the flags have been in storage since 1989. In the 1960s, the collection was photographed and commercial artist Robert Needham painted illustrations of many Civil War flags. Photographs of the flags and the paintings are now part of the society's archival collections.
The regiment was called upon April 21, 1861 in a letter to Colonel James Barnett from the Governor, William Dennison. Each Battery of the 1st has its own history and operated independently in battle. Their initial appointment was for three months, though most served an additional campaign for three to five years.
Battery D was quickly appointed to another 3 year campaign at Camp Dennison near Cincinnati and mustered into service in December 1861. Major engagements in which the battery took part include Major engagements in which the battery took part include Shiloh, the siege of Knoxville, the Atlanta Campaign, Franklin and Nashville. The battery was mustered out at Camp Cleveland on July 15, 1865. View on Ohio Memory.
: AL02309 Subjects
: Ceremonial artifact; Communication artifact; Military flags; Flags--Ohio, Civil War, 1861-1865; 1st Regiment, Battery D, Ohio Volunteer Light Artillery; Statehouse--Ohio; Textile--silk; Places
: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)