Blue Star Banner   Save
Blue Star Banner
Description: One side of this "Blue Star Banner" displays 10 stars, the other, 6 (four have been removed). It likely dates to World War II. The In Service Flag (Blue Star Banner) was patented by an Ohioan, Colonel Robert L. Queisser of East Cleveland, Ohio, on 6 November 1917. Intended for display by families who have members serving in the Armed Forces, blue star banners are also displayed in shop windows to honor the members of that organization who were serving. Most flags were homemade by mothers, though they later became mass-produced. Upon death in service the blue star was replaced by a gold one, wounded soldiers were represented by silver. One of the most famous flags was that of the five Sullivan brothers who all perished on the U.S.S. Juneau. View on Ohio Memory.
Image ID: H65282_001
Subjects: Textile--cotton; Ceremonial artifact; Communication artifact; Military flags; Flags--Ohio; World War (1939-1945); Blue Star Banner;
Places: Blue Star Banner