: Photograph of the view down the Blackhand Gorge. The name Blackhand, originated from a dark, hand-shaped Indian petroglyph that was engraved on the face of a massive sandstone cliff along the north side of the river. In 1828, the engraving was destroyed during construction of the Ohio-Erie Canal, which runs through the gorge, when builders dynamited the cliff face. View on Ohio Memory.
: 3076_90_13_09 Subjects
: Blackhand Gorge State Nature Preserve (Ohio); Gorges Places
: Newark (Ohio); Licking County (Ohio)