: Two men and two women, possibly students at Wilberforce University, playing tennis. The image has a few black marks along with several other damaged spots. In 1856, the Methodist Episcopal Church established Wilberforce University near Xenia, Ohio, to provide African Americans access to a college education. The university was the first private black college in the United States, and its founders named the institution after William Wilberforce, a prominent eighteenth-century abolitionist. A number of African American Ohioans attended the school during its early years. During the American Civil War, attendance declined as many students enlisted in the Union army. Wilberforce University closed in 1862.
View on Ohio Memory.
: AL03812 Subjects
: Greene County (Ohio); Multicultural Ohio -- African American Ohioans; Wilberforce University; Students -- Ohio; Sports Places
: Wilberforce (Ohio); Greene County (Ohio)