: These two photographs are views of the Church of the Covenant in Cleveland, Ohio. The Church of the Covenant, a Presbyterian church, located at 11205 Euclid Ave. in University Circle, was established in 1920 as a result of mergers of three churches. The Euclid St. (United) Presbyterian Church was originally located at Euclid and E. 14th St., and was organized in 1853. Known as the Euclid Ave. Church after 1880, it merged in 1906 with Beckwith Memorial Presbyterian Church (organized in 1885), located at Fairmount (E. 107th) St. and Deering St., and became the Euclid Ave. Presbyterian Church. In 1909 this church constructed an English Gothic building on land adjacent to Women's College of Western Reserve University. Designed by Cram and Ferguson, the building featured a rose window and a 140 foot tower between the parish house and sanctuary. In 1920 the Second Presbyterian Church (chartered in 1837), located at the corner of Prospect St. and E. 30th St., joined the Euclid Ave. Presbyterian Church at its Euclid Ave. location. The name was then changed to Church of the Covenant. The photographs are 5" x 7" (12.7 x 17.78 cm). The photographs were taken by Ihna Thayer Frary. The Ihna Thayer Frary Audiovisual Collection was given to the Ohio Historical Society by Mr. Frary in two sections. One was in March of 1963 and the remainder in May of 1965 by his sons, Dr. Spencer G. and Allen T. Frary following their father's death. I.T. Frary (1873-1965) was the publicity and membership secretary for the Museum of Art in Cleveland, Ohio. He taught for many years at the Cleveland Institute of Art and Western Reserve University's School of Architecture. He did much research of Ohio and American architecture and was the author of seven major works and numerous scholarly articles on architectural and art history. One of his major works was Early Homes of Ohio published in 1936. View on Ohio Memory.
: Om3374_5971294_001 Subjects
: Religion in Ohio; Architecture; Churches Places
: Cleveland (Ohio); Cuyahoga County (Ohio)