: Seven distinct gorges form the 3,474 acres of the Brecksville Reservation, carved into the earth by glaciers that covered the area thousands of years ago. Chippewa Creek cuts through the northern section of the park and was formed by Ohio's last glacier over 10,000 years ago. The reservation is known for its unusual and endangered plants, as well as its extensive trail system. The first photograph, taken in 1939, shows the construction of the Brecksville Nature Center, built by Works Progress Administration craftsmen. The next two photographs, taken in 1936, show a shelter house and a hiking trail. The fourth picture shows the sign that, in 1936, stood at the entrance to the 370 acres of the Harriet L. Keeler Memorial Woods. Harriet L. Keeler (1846-1921) was a noted author and educator who was particularly interested in the natural history of the Cleveland region. The first photograph measures approximately 4.75 by 3 inches (12.07 by 7.62 cm), the second 4.25 by 3.25 inches (10.80 by 8.26 cm), the third 2.5 by 4.25 inches (6.35 by 10.80 cm), and the last measures approximately 3.25 by 4.25 inches (8.26 by 10.80 cm). The Works Progress Administration (later known as the Works Projects Administration, or WPA) was established in 1935 as the most comprehensive New Deal program under President Franklin D. Roosevelt. Run by Harry L. Hopkins during the Great Depression, the WPA was designed to provide jobs and income to the unemployed through nation-wide construction projects as well as small-scale artistic assignments. View on Ohio Memory.
: Om3396_6642940_001 Subjects
: Agriculture; Daily Life; Geography and Natural Resources; State parks & reserves; New Deal, 1933-1939 Places
: Cleveland (Ohio); Cuyahoga County (Ohio)