: Dated ca. 1850-1859, this is an ambrotype photograph of the Cleveland Sanitarium in Cleveland, Ohio. The Cleveland State Hospital was authorized by an act of the Ohio legislature in 1852. It was the second state psychiatric hospital for long-term care created in Ohio. The location of the main building, completed in 1855, was in the township of Newburgh. In the spring of 1973 a special task force of the Ohio Department of Mental Health and Mental Retardation began planning and implementing the discontinuation of inpatient care at the hospital. Cleveland State Hospital was completely phased out by the end of June 1974. By that time, the patients had been gradually transferred to other institutions. The old main building on Turney Road was demolished in 1977. View on Ohio Memory.
: AL03692 Subjects
: Hospitals--Ohio; Other--Health Care; Mental illness--Treatment--Ohio Places
: Cleveland (Ohio); Cuyahoga County (Ohio)