Lazarus Company window display--Presidents   Save
Lazarus Company window display--Presidents
Description: Photograph of a patriotic window display advertising war bonds at The F. & R. Lazarus Company, 1944. The display features mannequins of United States Presidents Zachary Taylor, Millard Fillmore, and Franklin Pierce. Between 1851 and 1965, the F & R Lazarus Company retail store dominated the trade and physical landscape of Columbus. The company rose from its early years as a men's clothier in a 20 x 40 foot room downtown, to its position by 1965 as a member of the largest department store chain, Federated Department Stores. Lazarus' growth reflects that of the capital city; from small beginnings through a "golden age" of downtown development, and eventually branching out into the surrounding countryside. In 2003, the Lazarus Company was incorporated with Macy's, a member of the Federated Department stores, and is no longer in existence. View on Ohio Memory.
Image ID: AL04384
Subjects: Lazarus Department Store; Presidents--United States; Ohio Economy--Economy--Business
Places: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)