: A window diorama at the F. & R. Lazarus Company, picturing a horse car sharing High Street with the Straw Parade of 1888, when farmers of Franklin County delivered straw for the tents of the G.A.R. National Encampment. This display ran from February 12-18, 1951. Between 1851 and 1965, the F & R Lazarus Company retail store dominated the trade and physical landscape of Columbus. The company rose from its early years as a men's clothier in a 20 x 40 foot room downtown, to its position by 1965 as a member of the largest department store chain, Federated Department Stores. Lazarus' growth reflects that of the capital city; from small beginnings through a "golden age" of downtown development, and eventually branching out into the surrounding countryside. In 2003, the Lazarus Company was incorporated with Macy's, a member of the Federated Department stores, and is no longer in existence. View on Ohio Memory.
: AL04388 Subjects
: Columbus (Ohio); Lazarus Department Store; Ohio Economy--Economy--Business Places
: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)