Youngstown Sheet and Tube Company's Blackburn Plat housing   Save
Youngstown Sheet and Tube Company's Blackburn Plat housing
Description: Reinforced concrete rental housing of Youngstown Sheet and Tube Company's Blackburn Plat in East Youngstown (Campbell) Ohio, 1918. This subdivision was named after Silas Blackburn, the man who owned the property until his death in 1913. The company constructed this housing for mill workers and their families following a strike in the early 20th century, and deliberately made the houses small to discourage the immigrant practice of taking in boarders. These apartments were rented at $15, $18, and $20 per month with water furnished, which constituted about a quarter of the average laborer's wage. By around 1920, well over 200 homes made up Blackburn Plat. The company sold this complex, as well as three others, in the 1940s. View on Ohio Memory.
Image ID: AL05506
Subjects: Campbell (Ohio); Ohio Economy--Architecture and Engineering; Mills and mill-work--Ohio; Steel industry and trade--Ohio--Youngstown--History; Prefabricated houses
Places: East Youngstown (Ohio); Campbell (Ohio); Mahoning County (Ohio)