: Postcard showing the entrance to Indianola Park, Columbus, Ohio, ca. 1907-1915. Indianola Park was a 30-acre amusement park operated in Columbus’s University District at N. 4th Street and E. 19th Avenue. It opened to the public on June 8, 1905, and early visitors could enjoy a large swimming pool, a dance pavilion, a roller coaster, a restaurant and picnic grounds, and more. A vaudeville-style theater was added in 1908, soon to be followed by more roller coasters, a funhouse, and a “Shoot the Shutes” water ride. The park was also home to the Columbus Panhandles pro football team, serving as their home field between 1909 and 1915.
During the 1910s and early 20s, Indianola hosted as many as 10,000 visitors in a single weekend, and could see up to 5,000 people enjoying its pool on hot summer days. But in the wake of the Great Depression and other cultural shifts, the park eventually shut down in 1937. View on Ohio Memory.
: AL07732 Subjects
: Franklin County (Ohio); Cultural Ohio--Popular Culture; Amusement parks--Ohio; Amusement rides Places
: Columbus (Ohio)