: This ambrotype, a photographic image made by a wet-plate process, depicts Cleveland's Public Square. It was probably taken in the autumn of 1859 by Albert Bisbee. Within the image can be seen the Public Square fountain, Second Presbyterian Church, Trinity Episcopal Church, and St. Paul's Episcopal Church. In the foreground lies the outline of a ball diamond. An 1845 ordinance prohibited baseball playing on Public Square, but was repealed in 1856. The ambrotype is 9.5" x 7.5" (24.13 x 19.05 cm). Albert Bisbee operated daguerreotype and photography studios beginning in Dayton in the early 1850s, and later in Columbus, Zanesville and Cleveland. His book History and Practice of Daguerreotyping was published in 1853. View on Ohio Memory.
: Om1406_1137703_001 Subjects
: Cuyahoga County (Ohio); Sports; Baseball; Churches; Plazas; Parks; Public buildings Places
: Cleveland (Ohio); Cuyahoga County (Ohio)