Johnston Farm illustration   Save
Johnston Farm illustration
Description: Engraved image of of the John Johnston farm, located in Upper Piqua, Miami County, Ohio, from "Historical Collections of Ohio" by Henry Howe, 1847. Johnston served as a local Indian Agent in the early years after Ohio's founding. He was appointed by President James Madison and held the position until the 1840s. His responsibility was to help Native Americans interact with settlers, which filled a need left by the state and federal government when it came to Native American rights. He was also notable for helping to found Kenyon College, and forming the first Sunday School in Miami County. The Ohio Historical Society now maintains John Johnston's farm as a state memorial. View on Ohio Memory.
Image ID: AL03981
Subjects: Farm life--Ohio; Ohio Economy--Agriculture; Piqua (Ohio); Kenyon College
Places: Upper Piqua (Ohio); Miami County (Ohio)