: This photograph of the sidewheel steamer City of Cleveland III was taken off the coast of Cleveland in the 1940s. City of Cleveland III was built for the Detroit & Cleveland Navigation Company by the Detroit Ship Building Company. It was launched as the City of Cleveland in 1908 and renamed City of Cleveland III in 1912. The ship primarily carried passengers between Detroit and Cleveland. The photograph measures 8" x 10" (20.32 x 25.4 cm). While on an excursion with the Benton Harbor, Michigan Chamber of Commerce, the City of Cleveland III was struck by the Norwegian freighter Ravnefjell off Harbor Beach Lake Huron, on June 25, 1950. Five passengers were killed. The City of Cleveland III was dry-docked and later dismantled following the accident. View on Ohio Memory.
: Om3182_4418073_001 Subjects
: Transportation; Ships; Steamboats; Photography--Ohio Places
: Cleveland (Ohio); Cuyahoga County (Ohio)