: "Ohio Central Normal School, or Worthington Female Seminary" illustration from "Historical Sketches of the Higher Educational Institutions, and also of Benevolent and Reformatory Institutions of the State of Ohio," 1876.
The Ohio Central Normal School, formerly the Worthington Female Seminary, was founded in 1839 and was the first female seminary of the Methodist Church west of the Alleghenies. The seminary was originally located in the Masonic Temple New England Lodge No. 4, located at 634 High Street in Worthington, Ohio. Students from Worthington and surrounding communities--as well as a few from around the country, primarily Methodist ministers' daughters--were educated at the seminary. It was initially very successful, often having as many as one hundred and fifty students, but after the establishment of the Ohio Wesleyan Female College in 1853, the Worthington Female Seminary lost support and closed in 1857. The building became home to the Ohio Central Normal School in 1871, providing training for kindergarten, primary, intermediate, and secondary teachers. View on Ohio Memory.
: AL04162 Subjects
: Worthington (Ohio); Cultural Ohio--Education; Women--Education - Ohio; Teachers--Training of Places
: Worthington (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)