: This illustration of the city of Akron appears in "Historical Collections of Ohio," published by Henry Howe in 1907. Akron was originally laid out in 1825 and in 1841 became the seat of Summit County. The name came from a Greek word meaning "an elevation" or "point." Originally, the community was located slightly south of its present location, in modern-day South Akron. Many of the town's earliest residents were Irish migrants employed to build the nearby Ohio and Erie Canal. After 1827, when the canal was completed between Akron and Cleveland, the community's business interests really began to prosper. Its location along the canal meant that many farmers brought their crops to Akron to be milled and then transported to other markets, and manufacturing interests such as mills, furnaces, and textiles also emerged. View on Ohio Memory.
: AL04206 Subjects
: Akron (Ohio); Ohio History--Natural and Native Ohio; Cities and towns--Ohio Places
: Akron (Ohio); Summit County (Ohio)