: This photograph shows the interior of the Ohio House of Representatives, Ohio Statehouse, during the mid-20th century. The Statehouse Complex includes the Statehouse, Senate Building, and the Capitol Atrium, which connects the two buildings. Construction began in 1839 to replace an earlier two-story brick structure after several complaints about the lack of space to accommodate the rapidly growing town and state. Initial plans estimated that construction of the structure would take two years and cost $200,000 proved to be wrong. The building was completed 22 years later (in 1861) at a price of $2.2 million. The Statehouse is a National Historic Landmark and is widely considered to be one of the finest examples of Greek Revival Architecture in the United States. The Senate building was completed in 1901 and was built in the Neoclassical Revival style. Salmon P. Chase was the first governor to occupy the new Statehouse. View on Ohio Memory.
: AL05693 Subjects
: Ohio History--State and Local Government; Ohio Statehouse (Columbus, Ohio); Architecture--Ohio; Chairs; Capitols--Ohio Places
: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)