: This photograph shows the Interior of the Ohio Senate Chamber, Ohio Statehouse, ca. 1960. Surrounded by an elegant ballustrade, four parallel rows of individual desks face a marble dais and podium from which the president of the Ohio senate presides.
The Statehouse Complex includes the Statehouse, Senate Building and the Capitol Atrium, which connects the two buildings. Construction began in 1839 to replace an older two-story brick structure after several complaints about the its lack of space to accommodate the rapidly growing town and state. Initial estimates of a two-year construction period and a cost of $200,000 were wrong. The building was eventually completed 22 years later (in 1861) at a price of $2.2 million. The Statehouse is a National Historic Landmark and is widely considered to be one of the finest examples of Greek Revival architecture in the United States. The Senate Building was completed in 1901 and was built in the Neoclassical Revival style.
Salmon P. Chase was the first governor to occupy the new Statehouse. View on Ohio Memory.
: AL05694 Subjects
: Ohio History--State and Local Government; Architecture--Ohio; Ohio Statehouse (Columbus, Ohio) Places
: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)