: This photograph features a view of City Hall, Columbus, Ohio, ca. 1940. The perspective is from the north end of the Ohio State Office Building looking toward City Hall across West Broad Street. A portion of the American Insurance Union (IAU) Citadel is dominates the right side of the photograph. Across the street from City Hall are steps leading up to a reflecting pool at the head of which is a flagpole bearing the U.S. flag.
The City Hall building seen here was constructed in 1928, replacing a structure built in 1872 and located on E. State Street.
The AIU Citadel, now known as the LeVeque Tower, was dedicated on September 21, 1927. The 47-story tall skyscraper, located at 50 West Broad Street, was designed by architect C. Howard Crane in the Art Deco style. Due to the Great Depression, AIU went bankrupt and sold the building. The tower was purchased by John Lincoln and Leslie L. LeVeque in 1945.
View on Ohio Memory.
: AL05696 Subjects
: Ohio History--State and Local Government; Architecture--Ohio; Automobiles; Columbus (Ohio)--Buildings, structures, etc. Places
: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)