: This photograph shows the U.S. Post Office and Courthouse building (left) and police headquarters, Columbus, Franklin County, Ohio.
The five-story post office and courthouse, designed in the Neoclassical style was among the last federal buildings to be commissioned to a private firm from the Public Buildings Act of 1926. The Columbus federal building was constructed during President Franklin Roosevelt’s Public Works Administration employment and economic recovery program. In 1968 the postal service functions relocated to a new facility, and in 1972 the building was renovated in response to growing judicial needs. The post office and courthouse building was renamed in 1998 to honor Judge Joseph P. Kinneary, who served on the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio from 1966 to 2001. View on Ohio Memory.
: AL05699 Subjects
: Ohio History--State and Local Government; Architecture--Ohio; Neoclassicism (Architecture); Columbus (Ohio)--Buildings, structures, etc.; Places
: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)