: This photograph shows the exterior of the northeast corner of the State Office Building (now the Thomas J. Moyer Ohio Judicial Center), Columbus, Ohio, ca. 1935. The section of the exterior features a large stone bas-relief sculpture of an abstract human figure carved by Alvin Meyer (1892-1976). A row of carved stone panels flank its head. Two carved animal figures separated by a rectangular panel are located at the base of the figure. Underneath is a carved inscription that reads: "The whole fabric of society rests upon labor."
Construction of the building began in 1930 and was completed in 1933. The 14-story, white marble structure, designed by Cincinnati architect Hake is a classic example of the Art Moderne style. The interior of the building includes public spaces decorated with murals, mosaics and bas-reliefs that tell the history of Ohio and its industries. The building underwent a historic renovation that was completed in 2004, when it became the Ohio Judicial Center, permanent home of the Ohio Supreme Court. In 2011 the court renamed the center in honor of the late Chief Justice Thomas Moyer, who was the second-longest-serving chief justice in state history at the time of his death in April 2010.
Sculptor Alvin Meyer was born in Illinois in 1892 but moved with his family to Maryland in 1897. In 1897 the family moved to Cambridge, Md. He studied at the Maryland Institute of Design, the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts, the American Academy in Rome. Meyer won the Prix de Rome in 1926. After returning to the United States he became director of the sculpture department of Chicago architectural firm Holabird and Root. He died in 1976.
View on Ohio Memory.
: AL05756 Subjects
: Ohio History--State and Local Government; Architecture--Ohio; Ohio. Supreme Court; Ohio Judicial Center (Columbus); Columbus (Ohio)--Buildings, structures, etc.; Art Deco Places
: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)