: This engraved line-drawingof the Ohio Penitentiary shows a locomotive emerging from a covered bridge. The large building in the background appears to be the penitentiary.
The Ohio Penitentiary opened in Columbus in 1834 and continued to house prisoners until 1979. The state had built a small prison in Columbus in 1813, but as the state's population grew, the earlier facility was not able to handle the number of prisoners sent to it by the courts. When the penitentiary first opened in 1834, not all of the buildings were completed. View on Ohio Memory.
: AL05983 Subjects
: Ohio History--State and Local Government--Corrections; Prisons--Ohio Places
: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)