: A street scene dominated by the 15-story Buckeye Building and Loan headquarters at 36 Gay Street, Columbus, Ohio. The Buckeye Building with its six pillars and vertical sign is the tallest structure in the image. Parked cars line both sides of Gay St., and pedestrians are strolling along the sidewalk. Other identifiable business include Nitschke Bros. (paper store) and the Employes Club [sic]. Constructed in 1926, the Buckeye Building was the main banking headquarters of the Buckeye State Building and Loan Company, the largest savings and loan financial institution in Columbus for many years. The building, which featured a grand banking hall on the ground floor, is an outstanding example of the Classical Revival style. It also is a major work by the New York City architectural firm of Hopkins & Dentz. In 2005, Concord Hospitality Enterprises Company, a North Carolina firm, purchased the building, which had stood vacant for more than a decade. After a $24 million renovation, the building became the Downtown Residence Inn, a Marriott hotel designed for business travelers. View on Ohio Memory.
: AL06068 Subjects
: Buckeye Federal Savings and Loan Association; Banks and banking; Streets--Ohio--Columbus; Architecture; Ohio Economy--Economy--Business Places
: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)