: This image shows a canal boat named "St. Louis of Dayton" on the Miami Canal Basin, Dayton, Ohio, ca. 1850. Men are standing on the roof of the hold, and kegs or barrels are arranged in rows on the roof. Also visible in the image is a warehouse owned by Robert Chambers, which was located on the east side of the basin between First and Third Streets.
The Miami Canal, which connected Cincinnati to Dayton, was the first segment of the Miami and Erie Canal to be completed. It was constructed between 1825 and 1829. View on Ohio Memory.
: AL06116 Subjects
: Canals--Ohio--History--19th century; Miami and Erie Canal (Ohio)--History; Dayton (Ohio); Montgomery County (Ohio); Waterville (Ohio); Miami Canal (Ohio); Ohio Economy--Transportation and Development Places
: Dayton (Ohio); Montgomery County (Ohio)