: This image is an photographic reproduction of a drawing of Woodward College High School, Cincinnati, Ohio, ca. 1841.
In 1826 William Woodward (1768-1833) and his wife, Abigail, donated a parcel of land that would become the site of Woodward High School, Cincinnati, Ohio.
A year later they established an trust to fund a free school that would educate poor children in the area. However, within a few years the growth of public schools for elementary education caused Woodward to change his plans for the school and to make it a high school. A two-story building was constructed to house the new Woodward High School, which opened in October 1831. A collegiate department was added in 1836, and the school's name was changed to Woodward College of Cincinnati. In 1855 a new building replaced the structure seen in this photograph. The school became part of Cincinnati's public school system. View on Ohio Memory.
: AL06176 Subjects
: Woodward High School (Cincinnati, Ohio); Education--Ohio; Cincinnati Public Schools; Statues--Ohio; Coffin, Levi, 1798-1877; Underground Railroad--Ohio Places
: Cincinnati (Ohio);Hamilton County (Ohio)