: This photograph shows Findlay Market, located at the corner of Race and Elder Streets in Cincinnati, Ohio. Visible in the photograph are a vendor’s table, packing crates, passersby, and nearby storefronts. Findlay Market is the state’s oldest surviving municipal market and also the sole survivor among nine such institutions operating in Cincinnati in the 19th and early 20th century. The market was erected in 1852, but disputes with contractors and difficulties correcting problems with the new construction methods delayed its opening until 1855. It was built on land donated to the City of Cincinnati by the estate of General James Findlay (1770–1835) and Jane Irwin Findlay (1769–1851). Findlay Market was designed using a durable but unconventional cast- and wrought-iron frame, a construction technology that had been little used in the United States. The structure was among the first markets in the country to use iron-frame construction technology and is one of very few to have survived. Findlay Market is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Information on the back of the photograph reads: “Market scene. Elder and Race Street, Cincinnati. This photograph shows an outdoor market facing north on Race Street, near the corner of Elder Street, in Cincinnati. Muhlberg Drug stands at the corner of Elder Street, Cohen Shoes is visible at the corner of Glass Alley, and Wesley Chapel can be seen at the far end of the road.”
This image of Findlay Market is among the photographs produced by the Federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) between 1935 and 1943.
View on Ohio Memory.
: AL06200 Subjects
: Markets--Ohio; Cincinnati (Ohio)--Buildings, structures, etc.; Church buildings--Ohio; Stores & shops Places
: Cincinnati (Ohio); Hamilton County (Ohio)