: An exterior image of the Tod Barracks in 1934. One of five Civil War military posts in Columbus, Tod Barracks, named in honor of Governor David Tod, was built in 1863 as the headquarters for military administration in central Ohio. Necessitated by Lincoln's call for 300,000 new troops, the post was constructed in two months with United States Engineer, Captain John Tod, as supervisor. Carpenters of the 88th Ohio Volunteer Infantry from Camp Chase, three miles west, built it. Tod Barracks served as a recruiting depot, a rendezvous point for new recruits, and place where soldiers mustered-out after the war. Located adjacent to Columbus' Union Station, the post also served as a transfer point for soldiers and officers traveling through Ohio. (continued on other side) View on Ohio Memory.
: AL06212 Subjects
: Civil War 1861-1865; Columbus (Ohio)--Buildings, structures, etc.; Military Ohio Places
: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)