: This image depicts a statue of General Moses Cleaveland in Cleveland, Ohio. The engraving reads "Gen. Moses Cleaveland/ Founder of the City/ 1796." The statue was erected in 1888.
Following the Revolutionary War, the newly-created federal government encouraged states to give up their claims within the Northwest Territory. Connecticut was one of the states with land claims in Ohio. The state, however, maintained its ownership of the northeastern corner of the territory. This area became known as the Connecticut Western Reserve.
In 1796, the company sent one of its major investors, General Moses Cleaveland, to Ohio to lead the survey of company lands within the Western Reserve. Cleaveland's surveying party of fifty-two people included two women. The surveyors laid out a town along the eastern bank of the Cuyahoga River and named it "Cleaveland," which later changed to its modern day spelling "Cleveland."
Another surveying team went back to the Western Reserve the next spring, but Moses Cleaveland was not a part of it. Cleaveland never returned to Ohio. He spent the rest of his life with his legal practice and business interests in Connecticut. View on Ohio Memory.
: AL06503 Subjects
: Cleveland (Ohio)--Buildings, structures, etc.; Monuments & memorials Places
: Cleveland (Ohio); Cuyahoga County (Ohio)