: Photograph of the Stone Academy, located at 115 Jefferson Street in Zanesville, Ohio. This building was originally constructed in 1809 with funds donated by Dr. Increase Mathews, Levi Whipple, and Ebenezer Buckingham, in Putnam, which was then a separate and rival community. Built of sandstone from nearby Putnam Hill, it was originally meant to serve as the new state capitol building. John McIntire and others constructed a building of their own to compete for the honor. State legislature selected Zanesville to serve as the capital of Ohio from 1810 to 1812, and the Putnam building became a school and held many public functions. The State Abolition Society held meetings there in 1835 and 1839, and it also served as a station on the Underground Railroad.
In 1840, it was converted to a private residence and was the childhood home of author, actress and activist Elizabeth Robins. Sometimes called The Robins House, the 2-story stone building was left to the Pioneer and Historical Society in 1983 by Mrs. Richard (Lydia McHenry) Taylor and it has served as a museum since. View on Ohio Memory.
: AL06529 Subjects
: Zanesville (Ohio); Architecture--Ohio; Historic buildings--Ohio; Ohio Government Places
: Zanesville (Ohio); Muskingum County (Ohio)