: This color image shows a stained-glass window in the Old Stone Church, Cleveland, Ohio. This window, entitled "The Recording Angel" and located on the church's east wall, was dedicated in 1885. It is the first of the church's four stained-glass windows created by the Louis Comfort Tiffany studio.
The First Presbyterian Society was incorporated in the Village of Cleveland, County of Cuyahoga, in the year 1827, by the General Assembly of the State of Ohio. There were 28 gentlemen who, along with their associates, constituted the Society at that time. The first church building was erected in 1834; a second, larger church constructed on the same site was dedicated in 1855. Fires in 1857 and 1884 damaged the church significantly. The 1884 fire destroyed the church's interior, which was reconstructed. The Tiffany stained-glass windows were added during this reconstruction.
Stained glass is popularly displayed in the windows of churches and other significant buildings. The stained glass generally follows a theme specific to its host building. As seen in the photograph, a stained glass window showing a biblical scene is exhibited in a church. Although most artistic pieces are popularly flat-shaped and displayed as windows, modern stained glass artists are shifting away from the traditional forms by creating three-dimensional structures.
View on Ohio Memory.
: AL06616 Subjects
: Old Stone Church (Cleveland, Ohio); Church buildings--Ohio; Tiffany, Louis Comfort, 1848-1933; Tiffany Studios (New York, N.Y.); Stained glass (visual works); Art--Conservation and restoration Places
: Cleveland (Ohio); Cuyahoga County (Ohio)