: This color image shows a front view of the Geauga County Courthouse, Chardon, Ohio. L.J. Randall, builder of the Randall Block on Main Street, was the contractor for the courthouse; Joseph Ireland (active in Cleveland 1865-1885) was the architect.
Looking at the Geauga County Courthouse, note the square tower which changes to an octagon one full story above the roof line. The courthouse's cupola reaches 112 feet and contains an antique clock mechanism that was renovated in 1996 by the community and Chapter 28 of the National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors. The bandstand on the village public green is a reconstruction of the 1875 original. The bandstand was dedicated by the community in 1981, and the brick memorial walkway was dedicated in 1993.
The courthouse was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974 as part of the Chardon Courthouse Square District. View on Ohio Memory.
: AL06623 Subjects
: Courthouses; Justice centers; Justice--Administration of; National Register of Historic Places; Geauga County (Ohio); Local government Places
: Chardon (Ohio); Geauga County (Ohio)