: This color image shows a view of the business district of Chardon, Ohio, ca. 1960-1969. The perspective is looking toward the street from Chardon Square Park. In the center foreground of the image is a raised platform around which is a ring of lampposts. Chardon Courthouse Square District was added to National Register of Historic Places in 1974.
Chardon was designated the county seat of Geauga County in 1808. On July 25, 1868, the entire village business district (now Main Street) was destroyed by fire, including forty businesses, offices, meeting halls, and the 1824 courthouse. Citizens immediately rallied and formed the Chardon Building Company. In August 1868 they contracted with Herrick and Simmons of Cleveland to build the Union Block using fire-resistant brick. This was one of Rensselaer R. Herrick's (Cleveland's mayor, 1879-1882) last construction jobs. The Union Block occupies the northern half of this block of Main Street. View on Ohio Memory.
: AL06624 Subjects
: Buildings; Business and Labor; National Register of Historic Places; Historic buildings--Ohio; Geauga County (Ohio) Places
: Chardon (Ohio); Geauga County (Ohio)