: S-Bridge West of Cambridge, Ohio, on the Old National Road. The purpose of the National Road was to allow travelers to traverse the Appalachian Mountains. The building of the bridge was approved by the U.S. Congress in 1806. Private companies would be approved and hired for the job in 1811, but due to the war of 1812 construction was delayed for some time. Construction of the road was started in 1815 in Maryland, and by 1817 the road would extend into what is today West Virginia, but was at the time part of Virginia. The road would later be extended into the state of Missouri. During the 1820s and 1830s, the road was built throughout Ohio and maintenance of the road was left to the states, which Ohio would pay for by collecting tolls. Today the path of the National Road is taken up by U.S. Route 40. View on Ohio Memory.
: AL06687 Subjects
: National Road; Bridges--Ohio; Appalachian Region--History; Ohio Economy--Transportation and Development Places
: Cambridge (Ohio); Guernsey County (Ohio)