: This photograph shows a group of fifteen men wearing business attire (hats and long overcoats) and standing near the site of the future Ohio State Office Building, Columbus, Ohio, ca. 1929-1933. Behind the group is a pile of scrap material and a brick building with a sign that reads "The Cuyahoga Wrecking Company, Cleveland, Ohio. Building Wreckers. New & Used Building Materials." Two African American men in work clothes and a young boy are standing by the scrap material. Streetcar rails run diagonally across the lower left of the photograph. A motor vehicle resembling a small shuttlebus is parked behind the businessmen.
Groundbreaking for the Ohio State Office Building, 65 South Front Street, took place on November 19, 1929. Construction began in October 1930, and the cornerstone was laid on May 16, 1931. An explosion damaged the structure on April 14, 1932, but the building eventually opened on March 27, 1933.
The 14-story building was designed by architect Harry Hake, Frank Bail, and Alfred Hahn. It later became the Ohio Judicial Center. In 2011 the state Supreme Court named the center in honor of the late Chief Justice Thomas Moyer, who was the second-longest-serving chief justice in state history at the time of his death in April 2010. The Thomas J. Moyer Ohio Judicial Center is considered an excellent example of architecture from the Art Deco period. View on Ohio Memory.
: AL06928 Subjects
: Columbus (Ohio)--Buildings, structures, etc.--Design and construction; Ohio History--State and Local Government; Ohio Judicial Center (Columbus, Ohio); Construction industry--Ohio Places
: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)