: In this photograph, four workers are busy constructing the steel grid that will support the future Ohio State Office Building, Columbus, Ohio. The men likely are members of a riveting crew, which joins steel beams to form the grid. Attached to the topmost beam, a flagpole and U.S. flag mark the highest point of the structural grid. High above them looms a tall crane and its cables.
Groundbreaking for the Ohio State Office Building, 65 South Front Street, took place on November 19, 1929. Construction began in October 1930, and the cornerstone was laid on May 16, 1931. An explosion damaged the structure on April 14, 1932, but the building eventually opened on March 27, 1933.The 14-story building was designed by architect Harry Hake, Frank Bail, and Alfred Hahn.
The building later became the Ohio Judicial Center. In 2011 the state Supreme Court named the center in honor of the late Chief Justice Thomas Moyer, who was the second-longest chief justice in state history at the time of his death in April 2010. The Thomas J. Moyer Ohio Judicial Center is considered an excellent example of architecture from the Art Deco period.
View on Ohio Memory.
: AL06932 Subjects
: Ohio History--State and Local Government; Construction workers; Construction industry--Ohio Places
: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)