: This image is an aerial view of Gibraltar Island (foreground) and South Bass Island State Park, both of which are among the Lake Erie Islands, near Sandusky, Ohio. The dominant landmark on South Bass Island is the Doric Column at Perry's Victory and International Peace Memorial, part of the National Park Service. The column stands 47 feet taller than the Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor.
Gibraltar Island, whose dolomite ledges resemble the Rock of Gibraltar in the Mediterranean Sea, likely was a lookout point for naval forces led by Commodore Oliver Perry (1785-1819 during the Battle of Lake Erie in September 1813. In 1864, Civil War financier Jay Cooke (1821-1905) bought the 6.5-acre island, which was used as a vacation site by four generations of the Cooke family. In 1865, Cooke built a 15-room house that came to be known as Cooke Castle. Its tower is clearly visible in the far left section of Gibraltar Island. Today, the house and the island are owned by The Ohio State University, which maintains the Stone Laboratory, a freshwater research and teaching facility. Stone Laboratory is the oldest freshwater biological field station and research laboratory in the United States. The Jay Cooke Castle became a National Historic Landmark in November 1966.
View on Ohio Memory.
: AL07004 Subjects
: Gibraltar Island (Ohio); Put-in-Bay (Ohio); Perry's Victory and International Peace Memorial (Put-in-Bay, Ohio); South Bass Island (Ohio); Perry, Oliver Hazard, 1785-1819; Cooke, Jay, 1821-1905; Erie, Lake, Coast (Ohio); Cooke, Jay, 1821-1905; National Register of Historic Places Places
: Gibraltar Island (Ohio); Put-In-Bay (Ohio); South Bass Island (Ohio); Ottawa County (Ohio)