: This color photographs shows the lighthouse at Marblehead, Ohio, at sunset. The lighthouse was built in 1822 to guide sailors safely along the rocky coastline of Lake Erie. It was added to the National Register of Historical Places on December 17, 1969.
Built in 1821, the lighthouse is constructed of limestone covered with white stucco. In its early days the lighthouse guided ships into Sandusky Bay using 13 whale-oil lamps and 16-inch reflectors. Technological improvements have included a single kerosene lamp and Fresnel lens (1858); a mechanism to rotate the lantern; electric light (1923); automation (1958); and a 300 mm beacon that flashes a green light (ca. 1969). For many years it was the only lighthouse in the Sandusky Bay area. A total of fifteen civilian keepers have tended the light since its construction.
The United States Coast Guard has been responsible for the maintenance of the beacon since 1946. Beginning in 1972, the Ohio Department of Natural Resources has maintained the property surrounding the lighthouse. The area became a state park in 1998. The keeper’s house was built in 1880 and is now a museum staffed by historical society volunteers.
View on Ohio Memory.
: AL07005 Subjects
: Marblehead Light (Ohio); Lighthouses--Ohio; Erie, Lake, Coast (Ohio); Marblehead (Ohio); National Register of Historic Places; State parks & reserves Places
: Marblehead (Ohio); Ottawa County (Ohio)