: The photograph shows the front exterior of the first courthouse in Hancock County. The two-story frame structure has 8/12 windows, five on the second floor and four on the first floor. Just to the right of the front door is an Ohio Historical Marker that reads:
“First Courthouse of Hancock County. This ‘temporary courthouse’ was authorized by the county commissioners in 1831, completed in 1833 and in use until 1842. The building then served many functions such as a school, church, hotel, dentist office, store and residence. It has been moved twice, 1862 and 1913, from its original location on the southwest corner of South Main and West Crawford Streets. First County Court Session, March 14, 1828. First Court of Common Pleas, June, 1828. First Lawyer, Edson Goit, June, 1828. First Courthouse, 1833. Second Courthouse, 1842. Present Courthouse, 1888 Findlay/Hancock County Bar Association, March 27, 1899.”
View on Ohio Memory.
: AL07009 Subjects
: Findlay (Ohio); Hancock County (Ohio); Architecture--Ohio; Courthouses--Ohio Places
: Findlay (Ohio); Hancock County (Ohio)