: An image of the facade of St. John's Episcopal Church of Worthington in Worthington, Ohio. St. John's was founded in 1804 by a group of settlers from Connecticut, led by James Kilborne, an Episcopal Deacon and the founder of the community of Worthington. St. John's was the first Episcopal church west of the Alleghenies. The church building pictured was completed in 1831 and was built entirely by the congregation, using stone from a quarry near the Olentangy River for the exterior and native Ohio hardwoods for the interior.
The first person to be buried in the cemetery behind the church was Captain Abner Pinny (in 1804), who served in the American Revolution.
The church was remolded in 1927, a parish house was added in 1927, and an education building was added in 1962.
The church and the cemetery are listed on the National Registrar of Historic Places. View on Ohio Memory.
: AL07041 Subjects
: Churches--Ohio; Olentangy River (Ohio);Ohio--Religion; Worthington (Ohio) Places
: Worthington (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)