: The Cuyahoga County Soldiers' and Sailors' Monument in Cleveland opened July 4, 1894 to honor Civil War soldiers from Cuyahoga County, Ohio. The monument was designed by architect Levi Scofield and is made of a 125 foot black granite shaft on a square base that houses a memorial building. The names of the Civil War battles the Cuyahoga County soldiers fought in are carved on the shaft, which is topped with a statue of "the Goddess of Liberty." An ongoing restoration protect for the memorial began in 2008. The memorial is located in the southwest quadrant of the public square in downtown Cleveland. View on Ohio Memory.
: AL07255 Subjects
: Military Ohio; Monuments--Ohio; Civil War; Cleveland (Ohio)--Buildings, structures, etc.; Architecture--Ohio Places
: Cleveland (Ohio); Cuyahoga County (Ohio)