: This photograph is of Fred Mosley, a 47-year-old farmer from Centerburg, Ohio. Caption reads: "No. 213, Fred Mosley of Knox County, Electrocuted November 30, 1938 for the Murder of his Wife, Mrs. Philla Mosley, at Centerburg, Ohio."
In 1885, the Ohio Penitentiary became the site of all executions for prisoners on death row; formerly, executions had taken place in the county where the crime was committed. In 1896 the Ohio General Assembly mandated that electrocution replace hanging as the form of capital punishment. Throughout the 1930s, the Ohio Penitentiary in Columbus, Ohio displayed photographs of inmates who were sentenced to death.
A total of 315 prisoners, both men and women, were executed in the electric chair known as “Old Sparky” between 1897 and 1963. View on Ohio Memory.
: AL08267 Subjects
: Ohio History--State and Local Government--Law; Capital punishment--Ohio--History; Death row; Electrocution; Ohio History--State and Local Government--Corrections; Ohio Penitentiary (Columbus, Ohio); Prisons--Ohio Places
: Centerburg (Ohio); Knox County (Ohio); Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)