: This photograph from the Ohio Penitentiary in Columbus is of 23-year-old Willie Caldwell of Cuyahoga County. The caption at the bottom reads: "No. 223, Willie Caldwell, of Cuyahoga County, Legally Electrocuted June 14th, 1939, for the Murder of Mr. Fred Raymot, at Cleveland, Ohio.”
In 1885 the Ohio Penitentiary in Columbus, Ohio, became the location for all executions, which previously took place in the various county seats. In 1896 the Ohio General Assembly mandated that electrocution replace hanging as the form of capital punishment. The Ohio Penitentiary regularly offered tours as well as souvenir photographs and postcards of the building and prisoners on death row.
A total of 315 prisoners, both men and women, were executed in the electric chair known as “Old Sparky” between 1897 and 1963.
View on Ohio Memory.
: AL08277 Subjects
: Ohio History--State and Local Government--Law; Capital punishment--Ohio--History; Death row; Electrocution; Ohio History--State and Local Government--Corrections; Ohio Penitentiary (Columbus, Ohio); Prisons--Ohio Places
: Willie Caldwell photograph