: This photograph from the Ohio Penitentiary in Columbus is of 21-year-old foundry worker George M. Sexton. His formal attire suggests that the photograph was taken during his trial or sentencing. Sexton was found guilty of murder Otto Hoffman, a night watchman, in Sandusky, Ohio.The caption at the bottom reads: "No. 255, George M. Sexton of Erie County, Legally Electrocuted January 30 1948 for the Murder of Mr. Otto Hoffman."
In 1885 the Ohio Penitentiary in Columbus, Ohio, became the location for all executions, which previously took place in the various county seats. In 1896 the Ohio General Assembly mandated that electrocution replace hanging as the form of capital punishment. The Ohio Penitentiary regularly offered tours as well as souvenir photographs and postcards of the building and prisoners on death row.
A total of 315 prisoners, both men and women, were executed in the electric chair known as “Old Sparky” between 1897 and 1963. View on Ohio Memory.
: AL08309 Subjects
: Ohio History--State and Local Government--Law; Capital punishment--Ohio--History; Death row; Electrocution; Ohio History--State and Local Government--Corrections; Ohio Penitentiary (Columbus, Ohio); Prisons--Ohio Places
: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio); Sandusky (Ohio); Erie County (Ohio)