: Aerial view of the southern end of the South Bass Island in Lake Erie, the location of South Bass Island Light lighthouse.
South Bass Island Light was brought into service in 1897 and is considered to be the only lighthouse in the United States to be owned by a university - the Ohio State University. It was constructed on Parker Point on the southwest corner of the island to help mark the passage from Sandusky to Toledo. In 1962 the light was deactivated and the lens was transferred to the Lake Erie Island Historical Museum. The Ohio State University took the permanent possession of the lighthouse in 1997 and currently uses it to house researchers and staff, occasionally making it available for tours. The lighthouse was added to the National Register of Historic Places on April 5, 1990. View on Ohio Memory.
: AL07512 Subjects
: Lighthouses--Ohio; Lake Erie Islands (Ohio); Erie, Lake, Coast (Ohio); Great Lakes (North America); National Register of Historic Places Places
: South Bass Island (Ohio); Ottawa County (Ohio); Lake Erie