: Artifacts from the Ohio Historical Society collections on display in the Pioneer Tool and Implement Room in the Society's former museum location. The organization was formed in 1885 as The Ohio State Archaeological and Historical Society and eventually became known as the Ohio Historical Society. Originally the group’s collection was held at the Statehouse, but in 1894 they moved to Orton Hall on Ohio State University’s campus. They remained on OSU’s campus until 1970 when they moved to their present location at the Ohio State Fairgrounds.
The building in this picture is located at Fifteenth Avenue and N. High Street. The title of the building was transferred to OSU in 1970 when the Ohio Historical Society moved to the Fairgrounds. The building was named after Joseph Sullivant, a member of the Board of Trustees. It has housed the Music and Dance Library, the Fine Arts Library, the Zoology Museum, and the Hoyt Sherman Art Gallery. In 2013, the Billy Ireland Cartoon Library and Museum officially opened in the space. View on Ohio Memory.
: AL07653 Subjects
: Museum exhibits; Ohio Historical Society; Ohio--History Places
: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)